3D Cell Culture Chip - Distance Dependent Interaction DDI-Chip (pack of 3)
- Product SKU: IC-DDI-Chip
- Category: Microfluidic Chips, Microfluidic Organ-on-a-chip, Organ-on-a-chip Chips
The DDI-Chip is a unique and easy-to-use microfluidic patented device with five interconnected channels able to recreate a biological complex microenvironment for a wide range of applications and assays.
3 chips per pack.
The DDI-Chip is a microfluidic device through which the interaction between cells and factors can be investigated at different distances from each other. This provides a more physiological setup and allows simultaneous investigation of different distances in the same device. With the DDI-Chip it is also possible to test agents that can affect the distance dependent interactions.
This pack of 3 DDI-Chips comes sterile and closed in a Petri dish. The chips have to be stored in dry conditionappps, without direct exposition to the sunlight and at room temperature (15-25 °C).
The DDI-Chip is made of biocompatible polydimethylsiloxane (PDMS) and is gas-permeable to ensure the CO2 and O2 exchange. The support in thin glass is a microscope slide with excellent optical properties such as high transparency and low autofluorescence. This allows a direct observation of your biological sample with temporal and spatial resolution by using optical, fluorescent and confocal microscopes.
The pattern consists in:
- 2 medium channels (the external ones) for nutrient supply and tested compounds injection;
- 2 matrix channels (the intermediate ones) for cell seeding with or w/o hydrogels;
- 1 main central channel with an width that increases progressively along its length
|Side Medium Channels||Intermediate Matrix Channels||Middle Channel|
|Height||150 µm||150 µm||150 µm|
1125 µm (the narrow parts)
3375 µm (the wide parts)
|Gradually changed from 1250 µm to 5000 µm|
Volume (recommended for injection)
|20 µL||20 µL||20 µL|
|Diameter of inlets||1000 µm||1000 µm||1000 µm|
The DDI-Chip has non coated surfaces. According to your application and to eventually improve cell adhesion, you can coat the channel surface by using your solutions of polymers and/or proteins.
This microfluidic device can be used also with cells embedded in hydrogels such as Collagen I, Collagen IV, Fibrin, Matrigel, etc. to recreate a reliable biological microenvironment.
The inlet diameter of 1 mm allows an easy injection of the cell suspension through common pipettes. 20 µL is the recommended volume for each channel/chamber; this will allow to have few extra µL for a practical injection and complete filling.
It is possible to perform studies in dynamic flow conditions by using 1/16” tubing directly fitted in the inlets.
The DDI-Chip is a device mainly developed to determine distance dependent interactions of cells with various factors. The effect of different chemical or physical factors can be microscopically assessed.
If there is an interaction between a certain cell type and a factor, that is inversely related to the distance between them, this interaction will be observed most evidently at the device position where the distance between the cells and the factor is minimum while the interaction will be much less pronounced (or not observed at all) at the device position where the distance between the cells and the factor is maximum. If the interaction between a certain cell type and the factor shows a positive or a negative correlation, this indicates that there is a distance dependent interaction. The interaction between the certain cell type and the factor can exhibit itself as the migration of the certain type of cell, cell viability, expression of different genes, shape change etc.
None of the other microfluidic devices available on the market allows you to simultaneously study:
- Cell invasion
- Chemical gradient effects
- Differential flow
- Autocrine and paracrine interactions
- Dose response
- Drug efficacy on cell cross-talking
Find here two examples of assays performed by our customers:
Cancer Cells & Macrophages cross-talking
Cancer cells are embedded in a matrix and loaded into the matrix channel on one side of the main central channel; macrophages embedded in a matrix are loaded in the other matrix channel on the other side of the main central channel. Cell free matrix is loaded into the main central channel. Culture medium or physiological buffer solution is loaded into the external medium channels. The paracrine interaction between the two cell types and a the chemotactic response are inversely proportional to the distance between them.
PDF file of the scientific poster
Figure 1. Macrophages mouve through the extracellular matrix following the gradient of signaling factors produced and secreted by cancer cells. Image courtesy of Prof. D. Pesen Okvur
Cancer cells are embedded in a matrix and loaded into the main central channel; cell free matrix is loaded into both the matrix channels on one side of the main central channel. Culture medium or physiological buffer solution is loaded into the external medium channels. The autocrine interaction between cells influences their proliferation in function of their local number. Since the width of the central microfluidic channel increases along the DDI-Chip, the number of cells in the central channel increases as well as the local concentration of growth factors that positively correlates with cell proliferation.
PDF file with the complete Application Note & Protocol
Figure 2. Cancer cells proliferate more rapidly in the upper and narrower part of the channels where the distance between them is inferior. The local concentration of growth factors produced and secreted by cancer cells enhance their own proliferation. Image courtesy of Prof. D. Pesen Okvur.
By using the five available chambers of the DDI-Chip, you can additionally create your 3D cell culture and use it for your own assay:
- 2 medium channels will ensure the nutrient/waste exchange of your cell culture as well as the drug injection during in vitro drug screening
- 3 channels would be used to create a 3D co-culture of cancer cells, fibroblasts, endothelial cells, macrophages...
Drug cytotoxicity assay. As described in Yildiz-Ozturk et al. (Cytotechnology (2017) 69:337–347), this 3D in vitro microfluidic cell culture platform provides a biomimetic microenvironment by generating chemical gradients that strongly influences the cellular resistance to the carnosic acid and doxorubicin (see the scientific publication).
Extravasation assay. The central channel of the DDI-Chip can be used to mimic a blood vessel of increasing size. Here, changes (i) in the blood flow, (ii) drug delivery and/or (iii) extravasation of cancer cells to the nearby tissue simulated by the side channels can be investigated.
A real perfusable microvascular network can be recreated in the DDI-Chip by combining a 3D co-culture of fibroblasts and endothelial cells as described in Kim et al. (Engineering of functional, perfusable 3D microvascular networks on a chip. Lab on a Chip, 2013. 13(8): p. 1489-1500).
You can either order and pay via credit card or invoice (through a purchase order). Request a quote easily by clicking on the "Request a Quote" button in the cart page.
Please note that some products are not available for direct purchase: just click "Request a Quote" on the product page and fill in the form to get more informations!
- Add your products to the cart
- In the cart page, click on Proceed to Checkout
- Complete your credit card informations (don't worry, we are using Stripe, a PCI-certified program specialized in online transactions)
- That's it! You will receive an order confirmation within a few minutes, and our team will send you the invoice.
- Add your products to the cart
- In the website header, click on Request a Quote
- Fill in the required informations, then click on Submit Quote
- Our team will send you a quote shortly
- After receiving the quote, just send your purchase order at email@example.com
- Our team will complete your purchase and send you the invoice!
If you wish to pay in USD, GBP or AUD, please specify it in your PO. We can add the converted value in the required currency to the quote if requested.
We ship worldwide from our warehouse in France.
Shipping charges are calculated based on the shipping country, and can be estimated from the cart page. Our shipping rates and times are:
- France: GLS (1-2 business days), free shipping above 350€
- Germany, Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Spain, Hungary, Italy, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Czechia, Slovakia:
- GLS (2-4 business days), free shipping above 350€
- DHL Express (1-2 business days), reduced rate above 350€
- Bulgaria, Croatia, Estonia, Finland, Ireland, Latvia, Lithuania, Romania, Slovenia, Sweden, Greece, Cyprus, Malta: DHL Express (1-2 business days), free shipping above 400€
- United Kingdom: DHL Express (1-2 business days), free shipping above 400€
- USA, Canada: DHL Express (1-3 business days), free shipping above 400€
- Switzerland: DHL Express (1-2 days), free shipping above 450€
- Other countries: DHL Express, shipping rates based on the destination, weight and dimensions
If you wish to use your own shipping account, we will charge a flat fee of 15€.
We reserve the right to apply a surcharge for parcels > 30 kg, palletized shipments, or packages with dimensions exceeding the maximum dimensions of our carriers.
Please note that our standard shipping incoterms are DAP (Delivered At Place), or EXW if using your own carrier.
Contact us if you have any questions!