Culture Patch for Organ-on-Chip
- Product SKU: MS-SC-CP11
- Category: MesoBioTech, Microfluidic Chips, Microfluidic Organ-on-a-chip, Standard microfluidic chips
These culture patches are designed to be easily integrated in modular Organ-on-Chip platforms. A culture patch is a system of monolayer nanofibers deposited on a patterned microframe. Its morphology and composition perfectly mimic the in-vivo extracellular matrix. Typically, this solution offers the possibility to recreate tissue organization, cell-cell interactions, extracellular matrix influence and physiological responses in a more in vivo-like environment.
It is compatible with traditional culture dishes, multi-wells, Boyden chambers and advanced Organ-on-chip platforms developed by Mesobiotech.
A culture patch consists in a monolayer of nanofibers deposited on a supporting micro-frame. This culture patch can be used for 3D cell culture and tissue formation. It allows the self-assembly of cells in complex 3D tissues minimizing the exogenous contact and maximizing the cellular uptake.
Nanofibers can be made of different natural and synthetic materials:
- PLGA poly(lactic-co-glycolic acid),
- PCL polycaprolactone,
- PMGI polydimethylglutarimide
The orientation of nanofibers can be:
Honeycomb micro-frames that support the nanofibers can be made with different size, shape and elasticity. You can choose between two building materials:
- PEGDA poly(ethylene glycol)diacrylate (Young module of 1.2 MPa)
- PDMS polydimethylsiloxane (Young module of 0.5 MPa)
To grow your own 3D cell culture, the patch can be simply placed in a Petri-dish, multi-wells, Boyden chambers or directly in a compatible microfluidic chip (click here for more information on the Organ-on-Chip setup). At the end of your experiment, the patch can be removed from the device for further analyses (e.g. imaging, proteomics and genomics).
|Materials||Natural or Synthetic biocompatible polymers|
Φ 13 X 0.2 mm² (Organ-on-Chip setup)
Φ 25 X 0.2 mm²
Φ 37 X 0.2 mm²
Φ 47 X 0.2 mm²
|Nanofiber diameter||100-500 nm|
|Nanofiber thickness||< 1 µm|
The kit includes:
- 1x Culture Patch
The culture patch comes sterile and have to be stored in dry conditions, without direct exposition to the sunlight at room temperature (15-25 °C).
- Mammalian cell culture
- Human Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells (hiPSC) culture and differentiation
- Tissue formation
- Organoids formation
- Drug discovery
Integration of a culture patch into the modular microfluidic chip of Mesobiotech gives rise to an Organ-on-Chip model.
Different patches can be used to culture cells or to differentiate Human Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells (hiPSC) in dish or microplates in order to create your specific tissue patch (e.g. cardiac, neuron, etc). Then, the tissue patch (or other tissue culture inserts) can be integrated in the assembled Organ-on-Chip. Micro-chambers and micro-channels are patterned in both plastic plates of the chip to create two independent microfluidic systems: the upper and the lower chambers separated by the tissue patch. These two microfluidic chambers can be perfused with different culture media. Thus a tissue interface can be formed to mimic alveolar, stomach, intestine, kidney, liver, brain-blood, skin functions, etc.
A co-culture of two different cell types is possible as well. In order to seed the cells on both sides a coating of matrigel and collagen is needed. The ratio of the mix will be cell type dependent.
- In-vivo like extracellular matrix
- Natural or synthetic biopolymers
- High porosity
- Easy handling
- Easy device integration
- Compatible with conventional culture systems
By changing the cell type, these patches can be used to create:
- Neural or cardio-vascular networks-on-a-chip,
- Mesenchymal stem cells (MSC) or bone marrow-on-a-chip,
- ESC or iPSC-derived stem cells (ESC/iPSC)-on-a-chip.
A significative example of application: Lung Alveolus modeling. By differentiating hiPSCs into epithelial and endothelial cells on the upper and lower sides of a culture patch, an alveolar tissue is obtained and can be integrated into the microfluidic chip to recapitulate the pulmonary physiological conditions. By injecting growth factors, nano-materials or drugs, it is possible to study the extravasation and translocation of the tested compounds at the alveolar epithelium level.
Useful cell culture protocols can be find in these publications of high impact factor journals:
- Tang et al., Effective motor neuron differentiation of hiPSCs on a patch made of crosslinked monolayer gelatin nanofibers. J. Mater. Chem. B, 2016, 4, 3305 (PDF file)
Figure 1. Neuronal cells in red ( Neuron-specific class III beta-tubulin TUJ1 positive) and Astrocytes in green (glial fibrillary acidic protein GFAP positive)
- Tang et al., Induction and differentiation of human induced pluripotent stem cells into functional cardiomyocytes on a compartmented monolayer of gelatin nanofibers. Nanoscale, 2016, 8, 14530 (PDF file)
You can either order and pay via credit card or invoice (through a purchase order). Please note that some products are not available for direct purchase: just click "Request a Quote" on the product page and fill in the form to get more informations!
- Add your products to the cart
- In the cart page, click on Proceed to Checkout
- Complete your credit card informations (don't worry, we are using Stripe, a PCI-certified program specialized in online transactions)
- That's it! You will receive an order confirmation within a few minutes, and our team will send you the invoice.
- Add your products to the cart
- In the website header, click on Request a Quote
- Fill in the required informations, then click on Submit Quote
- Our team will send you a quote shortly
- After receiving the quote, just send your purchase order at email@example.com
- Our team will complete your purchase and send you the invoice!
If you wish to pay in USD or GBP, please specify it in your PO. We can add the converted value in the required currency to the quote if requested.
We ship worldwide from our warehouse in France.
The shipping charges are calculated based on the weight of the package and the country of destination: you can estimate the shipping cost on the cart page. We try to offer you the best shipping rates and services, shipping all our orders through DHL Express. Generally, your order reaches your lab in only 2 to 3 days after we send it, no matter the destination!
Please note that our shipping incoterms are DAP (Delivered At Place). Please contact us if you prefer using your own courrier account or have any question!