Single Emulsion Droplets - Microfluidic Advanced Pack
This setup represents a perfect solution for the generation of water-in-oil or oil-in-water droplets in single emulsion with high precision. The Advanced Pack includes a complete equipment that allows you to create droplets through a microfluidic chip. We provide all the components you need for the droplet generation in your laboratory: accurate syringe pumps, tubing, connectors and droplet generator chips.
Droplet generation finds applications in many scientific fields. Based on the emulsion of two immiscible liquids, this technique requires high precision and accuracy for applications in the pharmaceutical, cosmetic and food industries.
Microfluidics represents a rapid way to create highly monodispersed bubbles and droplets. We propose chips of great quality for the production of micro-sized droplets. The geometry of the intersection where the two phases meet, flow rates and fluid properties (surface tension, viscosity) determine local stresses which deform the liquid interface and lead to the production of drops. The drops are formed at the intersection of two immiscible fluids streams. Physically, the influence of the interfacial tension between the two phases governed by Rayleigh-Plateau instability enables the formation of drops. Finally, the application of a shear stress on an emulsion droplet causes its elongation, then its rupture.
Figure 1. Schematic illustration of the flow focusing geometry. Nooranidoost et al., Phys. Fluids 28, 123102 (2016)
We provide a complete equipment to produce droplets, particles or emulsions by using aqueous, organic, inorganic or fluorinated liquids:
- Syringe Pump, 2 available options:
- 2x Single Programmable Syringe Pumps 11 Pico Plus Elite from Harvard Apparatus
- 1x 33DDS Dual Independent Channel Syringe Pump from Harvard Apparatus
- Microfluidic chips
The pack can be used to generate droplets ranging in size from 30 to 200 µm through water in oil (w/o) or oil in water (o/w) emulsions.
The Advanced pack represents the solution for the production of single-emulsion droplets with high accuracy. We offer here a complete setup perfectly suited to applications where ultra-small and precise flows are required.
To independently control the flow of the two immiscible liquids you can choose between two different options:
- OPTION 1: Two Single Programmable Syringe Pumps
The Pico Elite Plus Series pumps (Harvard Apparatus) has the flow stability and accuracy required for delivering fluid volumes down to pico-liter per minute. These pumps can be easily programmed and controlled without a computer through its intuitive LCD touchscreen display and has a multitude of connection options.
Each syringe pump can hold 1 syringe (plastic, glass or stainless steel) from 0.5 μL to 50/60 mL and ensures reproducible (± 0.05%) flow rates with high accuracy (± 0.35%). Infusion rates vary from 1.26 pL/min to 39.77 mL/min.
- OPTION 2: A Dual Independent Channel Syringe Pump
The Pump 33 DDS (Harvard Apparatus) has two independent pumping channels controlled by an intuitive touch screen interface. Each syringe will operate independently with different syringe types, sizes, forces, targets (volume or time, mode dependent) for delivering fluid volumes down to pico-liter per minute.
With one single pump you can independently control 2 syringes (plastic, glass or stainless steel) from 0.5 μL to 50/60 mL. The pump offers enhanced flow performance with high accuracy (± 0.25%) and smooth reproducible (± 0.05%) flow from 1.02 pL/min to 106 mL/min.
The pack can be combined to a kit of Luer Lock Plastic, Glass or Stainless Steel Syringes with different available sizes. They will ensure the best performances of these high precision pumps. Choose the kit according to your specific needs.
We offer a wide selection of off-the-shelf chips for the generation of droplets with different diameters. Choose between:
Polycarbonate Chips - mini Luer ports
Three chips made in PC are included in the pack. PC is a slightly hydrophobic thermoplastic polymer compatible with aqueous solutions (including diluted acids and bases), alcohols, oils and fats. These droplet generator chips have several inlets and outlets and one channel to fit all your experiments. They are available in two versions with different input channel widths for the production of droplets with two possible droplet diameters:
- Ø range 50 µm - 90 µm
- Ø range 110 µm - 170 µm
PDMS Chip - 1/16" (1.5 mm) ports
As alternative, one chip made in PDMS can come with the pack. PDMS is an hydrophobic elastomeric polymer and has ideal properties such as nontoxicity, biocompatibility, blood compatibility, elasticity, transparency, and durability. This droplet generator chip combines 11 devices in a standard microscope slide to create monodisperse emulsions. The diameter of droplets produced by each devices is:
- Ø range 20 µm - 40 µm
Glass Chip - 1/4"-28 UNF threaded ports
Another choice can be one chip made in glass. The glass ensures very high chemical and physical stability with the use of several solvents. This chip can generate a wide range of droplets sizes: use the first cross section to make small droplets, or the second cross section to make larger ones. You only have to plug the port you don't want to use. With one chip you can create droplet with two different diameter ranges:
- Ø range 40 µm - 60 µm
- Ø range 150 µm - 250 µm
Each microfluidic chip requires specific connectors and tubing. No problem, we provide all you need to complete the setup and generate droplets out of the box.
Connectors and tubing for the Polycarbonate Chip
This chip has mini Luer ports and to ensure a leak-free junctions to the inlets ant outlets we provide:
- 10x mini Luer connectors for soft-walled tubing
- 10x mini Luer plugs to close the unused ports
- 15m of silicone tubing 1mm (OD) x 1 mm (wall thickness) and 10x Barbed Adapters for the Female Luer of the syringe.
Connectors and tubing for the PDMS Chip
This chip has 1/16" (1.5 mm) ports directly compatible with 1/16" OD rigid tubing. The pack comes with:
- 10m of PTFE (teflon) tubing coil 1/16" OD
- 5x Female Luer Adapters and 10x 1/4"-28 fittings + ferrules for 1/16" OD tubing to complete the setup and allow you to connect the rigid tubing to the syringe
Connectors and tubing for the Glass Chip
This chip has 1/4"-28 UNF threaded ports compatible with 1/4"-28 fittings. The pack includes:
- 10x 1/4"-28 fittings + ferrules for 1/16" OD tubing and 10m of PTFE (teflon) tubing coil 1/16" OD
- 5x Female Luer Adapters compatible with the 1/4"-28 fittings to complete the setup and allow you to connect the rigid tubing to the syringe
- 10x 1/4"-28 Flat-Bottom Plugs to close the unused port of the microfluidic chip according to the cross section of the chip you decide to use for the droplet generation
You can either order and pay via credit card or invoice (through a purchase order). Please note that some products are not available for direct purchase: just click "Request a Quote" on the product page and fill in the form to get more informations!
- Add your products to the cart
- In the cart page, click on Proceed to Checkout
- Complete your credit card informations (don't worry, we are using Stripe, a PCI-certified program specialized in online transactions)
- That's it! You will receive an order confirmation within a few minutes, and our team will send you the invoice.
- Add your products to the cart
- In the website header, click on Request a Quote
- Fill in the required informations, then click on Submit Quote
- Our team will send you a quote shortly
- After receiving the quote, just send your purchase order at email@example.com
- Our team will complete your purchase and send you the invoice!
A 25€ bank fee will be applied for any wire transfer in other currencies than Euros (€) outside the SEPA zone (European Union, Iceland, Norway, Liechtenstein, Switzerland, Monaco).
The shipping charges are calculated based on the weight of the package and on the country of destination. We try to offer you the best shipping rates and services, shipping all our orders through UPS. Generally, your order reaches your lab in only 2 to 3 days after we send it, no matter the destination! You can even choose a quicker shipping option like UPS Express.
Please note that our shipping incoterms are DAP (Delivered At Place). Please contact us if you prefer using your own courrier account or have any question!