Organ-on-a-Chip - SynALI Air Liquid Interface Lung Model
- Product SKU: SY-108011x3 / SY-202003 / SY-204003
- Category: Cell Culture Chips, Microfluidic Chips, Microfluidic Organ-on-a-chip, Standard microfluidic chips, SynVivo
This Organ-on-a-Chip with central chamber and flanked microchannels allows to create a novel Air Liquid Interface model mimicking the lung architecture. The microfluidic chip can be functionalized with lung epithelial cells surrounded by a vasculature made of endothelial cells to recreate the typical in vivo Air Liquid Interface. The inlets and outlets are directly compatible with 1/16" OD tubing for the introduction of cells and reagents. Performing experiments under dynamic flow conditions is possible as well.
The pack comes with 3 Chips, Tubing Clamps and 25G Needles to start using the setup easily out of the box!
The design of this chip allows to mimic the lung architecture through the formation of 1) a 3D lung epithelial tissue and 2) the endothelial barrier. The device includes 3 µm pores at the intersection between the outer channels and the inner channel essential for the cross-talk interactions between the co-cultured cell types.
This architecture maintains an Air Liquid Interface across the airway cells, allowing the formation of airways tubules that transport mucus and are sustained and in contact with the surrounding epithelium. Cell morphology, airway structure, cell-cell interactions and functions of the airway (e.g. mucus transport, ciliary beating, therapeutic-induced improvements) can be visualized and quantified in real-time in both normal and diseased conditions.
The possibility to recreate a 3D Air Liquid Interface model accelerates real-time studies of cellular behavior and drug screening by providing a biological and morphological microenvironment that more accurately depicts in vivo reality and ensuring a convenient real-time visualization.
- Realistic airway structure and environment
- Air Liquid Interface across the epithelium and endothelium
- in vivo hemodynamic shear stress
- Real-time visualization of cellular and barrier functionality including mucus, ciliary beating, immune cell interactions and therapeutic screening
- Robust and easy to use protocols
- Microfluidic platform with ultra-low consumable volumes
- Highly-resistant and optically clear material
- Standard microscope glass slide size
This setup includes:
- 3x Microfluidic ALI Chips
- 1x Pack of 25 Clamps for the Tygon Tubing 1/16" OD. Clamps allow you to block the tubing of the unused inlets/outlets, this is for avoiding leakage from the tubing when you fill the chip or perform experiments in flow conditions
- 1x Pack of 25 Needles Gauge (0.5" long) to connect the syringe of the pump directly with the tubing
The complete setup comes sterile and have to be stored in dry conditions, without direct exposition to the sunlight at room temperature (15-25 °C).
The Airway model can be created with a co-culture of endothelial and epithelial cells and an Alveolar tri-culture model with endothelial, epithelial and fibroblasts is possible as well.
Air Liquid Interface model technical manual
These co-culture protocols have been developed to establish true vascular monolayers in communication with the 3D lung tissue. Human cells grown in these chips retain a biological phenotype similar to that found in the real tissue. Leading researchers have validated that cells grown in these chips more accurately reflect the cell behavior found in vivo compared to cells grown using conventional culture techniques.
Unlike well-plate tests performed under static conditions, these chips reproduce the realistic dynamic conditions for the assessment of cell-drug and cell-cell interactions thereby providing an accurate in vitro platform to study and elucidate the mechanisms of success and failure. Compared to in vivo animal studies, they allow real-time visualization and analysis of the assay in a controlled environment.
An example of a confluent endothelial cell seeding density in one of the outer channels
An example of the microfluidic device with lung epithelial cells immediately after seeding.
Mucus formation and biomarker staining: A) - C) Confluent co-culture of endothelial and epithelial cells; mucus formation and staining of biomarkers in epithelial cells. D) and E) Biomarker staining for tight junction markers (VE-Cadherin and ZO-1) in endothelial cells.
Liu Z. et al., Co-cultured microfluidic model of the airway optimized for microscopy and micro-optical coherence tomography imaging, Biomedical Optics Express 2019 (Download)
(a) The ALI device to develop the air-liquid interface across the cells. The
air (or epithelial) channel is separated from two fluid (basolateral) channels by pores. Right panel shows conceptual drawing of the proposed orientation of the cells when seen from top (above) and a cross-section (below). (b) Bright Field image of the fabricated device without cells and the magnified view showing the pores. (c) Fabricated device bonded to the glass coverslip with inserted tubing for perfusion.
(a-c). Phase contrast imaging
of HBE cells in the center channel: (a) Directly after seeding, (b) attachment of cells after 24 hours, and (c) 100% confluence after 7 days of culture. (d) Live/dead staining. (e) Cross-sectional view of 3-D reconstructed confocal image (10X mag.). Cell culture is
co-stained with Plasma Membrane Orange and Calcein Green. (f). En face of Fig. 3(e).
You can either order and pay via credit card or invoice (through a purchase order). Please note that some products are not available for direct purchase: just click "Request a Quote" on the product page and fill in the form to get more informations!
- Add your products to the cart
- In the cart page, click on Proceed to Checkout
- Complete your credit card informations (don't worry, we are using Stripe, a PCI-certified program specialized in online transactions)
- That's it! You will receive an order confirmation within a few minutes, and our team will send you the invoice.
- Add your products to the cart
- In the website header, click on Request a Quote
- Fill in the required informations, then click on Submit Quote
- Our team will send you a quote shortly
- After receiving the quote, just send your purchase order at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Our team will complete your purchase and send you the invoice!
If you wish to pay in USD, AUD or GBP, please specify it in your PO. We can add the converted value in the required currency to the quote if requested.
We ship worldwide from our warehouse in France.
The shipping charges are calculated based on the weight of the package and the country of destination: you can estimate the shipping cost on the cart page. We try to offer you the best shipping rates and services, shipping all our orders through DHL Express. Generally, your order reaches your lab in only 2 to 3 days after we send it, no matter the destination!
Please note that our shipping incoterms are DAP (Delivered At Place). Please contact us if you prefer using your own courrier account or have any question!