Herringbone Mixer - Glass Chip
This micromixer chip is a useful tool for mixing liquids through the herringbone-shaped channel optimally. Its convenient 1/4-28 UNF threaded ports allow to connect the chip to your setup in a second!
The easy set-up of this versatile glass chip offers a rapid way to mix two fluids by decreasing the necessary length for diffusion and increasing the probability for solute transport between fluids.
This herringbone chip is convenient, cost-effective, and reliable for all your experiments:
- Highly-resistant and optically clear glass
- Standard microscope glass slide size (25 x 75 mm)
- Standard 1/4-28 UNF threaded ports
- Easy handling
Simply connect the chip to your setup using 1/4-28 fittings for 1/16" OD or 1/8" OD tubing.
Here are optional accessories compatible with the chip. You can select these options above or directly add them to your cart through their product pages.
Connect your chip using:
Working principle and applications
The Herringbone Mixer significantly accelerates the mixing in the low Reynolds number regime by inducing the formation of chaotic flows.
The microchannel presents a specific pattern with asymmetric herringbone-shaped grooves on its bottom able to generate helical flow and chaotic stirring for mixing two liquids.
Mixing of the fluid flowing through microchannels is important in a variety of applications: e.g., in the homogenization of solutions of reagents used in chemical reactions.
Recently, this Herringbone Mixer has permitted important advancements in the production of liposomes (enclosed phospholipid vesicles). Cheung et al., (Int J Pharma 2019) reported indeed, for the first time, the production of stable and uniform (100 nm) PEGylated liposomes by using our Herringbone Mixer. They studied the effect of different formulations (aqueous media, initial lipid concentration, lipid components, and composition) and processing parameters.
This chip shows higher throughput, faster mixing, and lesser dilution compared to other microfluidic devices.
Schematic of the setup from Cheung and Al-Jamal, International Journal of Pharmaceutics 566 (2019) 687–696 (PDF file)
1x Herringbone mixer chip in glass
|Slide format||25 x 75 mm|
|Channel depth||0.08 mm|
|Channel width||0.1 to 0.5 mm|
|Volume mixer||0.47 µL|
|Length mixer||28.7 mm|
In the mixing section, 6 mixing elements (chevrons) form one block (half cycle) and there are 30 blocks, so there are 15 complete cycles in total. The chip is tested with pressures from 1 to 3 bar, but there are also a few examples of utilization up to 10 bar.
- The two arms of one chevron are 1/3 to 2/3 of the channel dimension (200 µm)
- The distance between the chevrons is 50 µm
- Each mixing element is 50 µm width and 30 µm height
T-29 Herringbone Mixer
Cheung, C., & Al-Jamal, W. T. (2019). Sterically stabilized liposomes production using staggered herringbone micromixer: Effect of lipid composition and PEG-lipid content. International journal of pharmaceutics, 566, 687–696. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijpharm.2019.06.033
You can either order and pay via credit card or invoice (through a purchase order). Please note that some products are not available for direct purchase: just click "Request a Quote" on the product page and fill in the form to get more informations!
- Add your products to the cart
- In the cart page, click on Proceed to Checkout
- Complete your credit card informations (don't worry, we are using Stripe, a PCI-certified program specialized in online transactions)
- That's it! You will receive an order confirmation within a few minutes, and our team will send you the invoice.
- Add your products to the cart
- In the website header, click on Request a Quote
- Fill in the required informations, then click on Submit Quote
- Our team will send you a quote shortly
- After receiving the quote, just send your purchase order at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Our team will complete your purchase and send you the invoice!
If you wish to pay in USD or GBP, please specify it in your PO. We can add the converted value in the required currency to the quote if requested.
We ship worldwide from our warehouse in France.
The shipping charges are calculated based on the weight of the package and the country of destination: you can estimate the shipping cost on the cart page. We try to offer you the best shipping rates and services, shipping all our orders through DHL Express. Generally, your order reaches your lab in only 2 to 3 days after we send it, no matter the destination!
If you wish to use your own shipping account, we will charge a flat fee of 15€.
Please note that our standard shipping incoterms are DAP (Delivered At Place), or EXW if using your own carrier.
Please contact us if you have any questions!