Organ-on-a-Chip - Cross-flow membrane - Mini Luer
- Product SKU: CS-10000737
- Category: Microfluidic Chips, Microfluidic ChipShop, Microfluidic Organ-on-a-chip, New Products, Organ-on-a-chip Chips
The Fluidic 480 Organ-on-a-Chip by Microfluidic ChipShop is an affordable and compact solution for recreating in vitro biological barriers. Each chip features two distinct culture chambers, allowing co-culture of various cell types within two separate compartments divided by a permeable membrane.
The chip is fabricated in Topas (COC, cyclic olefin copolymer) for better light transmittance. The inlets and outlets with integrated Mini Luer connections ensure leak-free junctions with the tubing and allow experiments under dynamic flow conditions.
This Organ-on-a-Chip with a cross-flow membrane allows you to reliably mimic physiological conditions in vitro and study tissue organization, cell-cell interactions, barrier penetration, and physiological responses in a more in vivo-like environment.
Two different and independent culture chambers are available on the same chip. This allows you to perform two experiments in parallel or in series (body-on-a-chip).
The two chambers are designed to develop models of physiological barriers and to ensure an in vivo-like environment under static or dynamic flow conditions. Each chamber indeed has 2 flow inlets and 2 outlets for the perfusion of culture media and testing solutions in both the apical and basolateral compartments.
The entire body of the chip is made of Topas, a cyclic olefin copolymer (COC) to overcome the limitations of standard PDMS. Topas does not unspecifically absorb medium contents and has high stability and ideal optical characteristics for the bright field as well as fluorescence microscopy. Topas is frequently used in medical devices due to its proven biocompatibility.
The chip comes with three options of PET membranes having different pore sizes. Choose between a 0.2 µm, 0.4 µm, 3µm or an 8 µm porous membrane.
- Mini Luer connection molded with the chip: leak-free
- Highly resistant and optically clear material: Topas (COC, cyclic olefin copolymer) has high transparency (equivalent to glass) and very low grade of auto-fluorescence
- Standard microscope glass slide size (75.5 mm x 25.5 mm x 1.5 mm)
- Cover lid thickness: 140 µm
- 2 independent cell culture chambers
- Porous PET membrane: pore Φ of 0.2, 0.4, 3, or 8 µm
|Cross-flow porous membrane||Upper/Apical compartment||Bottom/Basolateral compartment|
Applications and examples from published papers
The upper and the lower compartments are separated by the porous membrane, and they can be perfused with different culture media. A tissue interface can be created to mimic alveolar, stomach, intestine, kidney, liver, brain-blood, skin functions, etc. Tissues inside the chip can be easily observed by microscopy.
Cell culture is just one potential application area of this versatile chip. The design indeed allows other different experiments such as small molecule transfer measurements, on-chip dialysis, and many more.
Maurer M. et al., A three-dimensional immunocompetent intestine-on-chip model as in vitro platform for functional and microbial interaction studies, Biomaterials 2019 (Download)
3D microphysiological model of the human intestine.
In this work, the model displays the physiological immune tolerance of the intestinal lumen to microbial-associated molecular patterns and can, therefore, be colonized with living microorganisms. The authors demonstrate that microbial interactions can be efficiently investigated using this chip creating a more physiological and immunocompetent microenvironment.
Raasch M. et al., Microfluidically supported biochip design for culture of endothelial cell layers with improved perfusion conditions, Biofabrication 2015, 7: 015013 (Download)
The authors investigated cell viability, expression of endothelial markers, and cell adhesion molecules of ECs dynamically cultured under low and high shear stress. This chip allows an effective supply with nutrition medium, discharge of catabolic cell metabolites, and defined application of shear stress to ECs under laminar flow conditions.
They show that ECs cultured in the chip form a tight EC monolayer with increased cellular density and enhanced cell layer thickness compared to static and two-dimensionally perfused cell culture conditions. Endothelial layers in the chip express higher amounts of EC marker proteins von-Willebrand-factor and PECAM-1.
Rennert K. et al., A microfluidically perfused three dimensional human liver model, Biomaterials 2015, 119-131 (Download)
The microfluidically perfused chip enables sufficient nutrition supply and resembles morphological aspects of the human liver sinusoid. It utilizes a suspended membrane as a cell substrate mimicking the space of Disse and the perfusion enhances the formation of hepatocyte microvilli. The authors stated that the perfused liver chip shares relevant morphological and functional characteristics with the human liver and represents a new in vitro research tool to study human hepatocellular physiology at the cellular level under conditions close to the physiological situation.
During culture in the biochip HepaRG cells consistently differentiate into cells exhibiting a hepatocyte phenotype and into cells with biliary epithelial cell phenotype that self-organize into a hepatocyte layer with functional bile ducts.
1x Cross-flow membrane organ-on-a-chip with mini Luer ports
Please use this information to precisely define the key parameters of your cell seeding and experimental protocols. One chip allows you to perform two independent experiments.
|Total surface (mm²)||440||271|
|Ground surface (mm²)||154||118|
|Chamber height (µm)||700||400|
|Width afferent channel (mm)||0.8|
|Width efferent channel (mm)||2|
|Height afferent channel (mm)||0.6|
|Height efferent channel (mm)||0.4|
|Area of interaction (mm²)||36
|Pore size (µm)||0.2||0.4||3||8|
|Pore density (pores/cm²)||5×10^8||4×10^6||8×10^5||1×10^5|
|Material||Hydrophilized polyethylene terephthalate (PET)|
|Pore orientation||Parallel, perpendicular to the surface|
Click to read more information about ChipShop chips material properties.
Maurer, M., Gresnigt, M. S., Last, A., Wollny, T., Berlinghof, F., Pospich, R., ... & Mosig, A. S. (2019). A three-dimensional immunocompetent intestine-on-chip model as in vitro platform for functional and microbial interaction studies. Biomaterials,220, 119396. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biomaterials.2019.119396
Raasch, M., Rennert, K., Jahn, T., Peters, S., Henkel, T., Huber, O., ... & Mosig, A. (2015). Microfluidically supported biochip design for culture of endothelial cell layers with improved perfusion conditions. Biofabrication, 7(1), 015013. doi:10.1088/1758-5090/7/1/015013
Rennert, K., Steinborn, S., Gröger, M., Ungerböck, B., Jank, A. M., Ehgartner, J., Nietzsche, S., Dinger, J., Kiehntopf, M., Funke, H., Peters, F. T., Lupp, A., Gärtner, C., Mayr, T., Bauer, M., Huber, O., & Mosig, A. S. (2015). A microfluidically perfused three dimensional human liver model. Biomaterials, 71, 119–131. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biomaterials.2015.08.043
You can either order and pay via credit card or invoice (through a purchase order). Request a quote easily by clicking on the "Request a Quote" button in the cart page.
Please note that some products are not available for direct purchase: just click "Request a Quote" on the product page and fill in the form to get more informations!
- Add your products to the cart
- In the cart page, click on Proceed to Checkout
- Complete your credit card informations (don't worry, we are using Stripe, a PCI-certified program specialized in online transactions)
- That's it! You will receive an order confirmation within a few minutes, and our team will send you the invoice.
- Add your products to the cart
- In the website header, click on Request a Quote
- Fill in the required informations, then click on Submit Quote
- Our team will send you a quote shortly
- After receiving the quote, just send your purchase order at email@example.com
- Our team will complete your purchase and send you the invoice!
If you wish to pay in USD, GBP or AUD, please specify it in your PO. We can add the converted value in the required currency to the quote if requested.
We ship worldwide from our warehouse in France.
Shipping charges are calculated based on the shipping country, and can be estimated from the cart page. Our shipping rates and times are:
- France: GLS (1-2 business days), free shipping above 350€
- Germany, Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Spain, Hungary, Italy, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Czechia, Slovakia:
- GLS (2-4 business days), free shipping above 350€
- DHL Express (1-2 business days), reduced rate above 350€
- Bulgaria, Croatia, Estonia, Finland, Ireland, Latvia, Lithuania, Romania, Slovenia, Sweden, Greece, Cyprus, Malta: DHL Express (1-2 business days), free shipping above 400€
- United Kingdom: DHL Express (1-2 business days), free shipping above 400€
- USA, Canada: DHL Express (1-3 business days), free shipping above 400€
- Switzerland: DHL Express (1-2 days), free shipping above 450€
- Other countries: DHL Express, shipping rates based on the destination, weight and dimensions
If you wish to use your own shipping account, we will charge a flat fee of 15€.
We reserve the right to apply a surcharge for parcels > 30 kg, palletized shipments, or packages with dimensions exceeding the maximum dimensions of our carriers.
Please note that our standard shipping incoterms are DAP (Delivered At Place), or EXW if using your own carrier.
Contact us if you have any questions!